|Looking for: ||Active, Outdoor / Active, Parks & Gardens|
|Address: ||WWT Washington Wetland Centre
Tyne and Wear
|Postcode: ||NE38 8LE|
|Age Group: ||All Ages|
|Kids Activity: ||Outdoors|
|Telephone: ||0191 416 5454|
|Website: ||Click Here|
Set in 45 hectares of stunning wetland and woodland on the River Wear, Washington Wetland Centre is one of the North East's biggest conservation success stories.
So much to see and do
Our vibrant and fascinating wetlands area is home to exotic birds, amazing insects and beautiful wild scenery.
- Our nesting colony of Grey Herons at Wader Lake – the largest in the region!
- Spectacular views of colourful Bullfinches and Great-spotted Woodpeckers in Hawthorn Wood
- The chance to get nose to beak with rare water birds at Close Encounters
- Fluffy ducklings taking their first wobbly steps at Waterfowl Nursery
- The ancient woodland at Spring Gill and our majestic old oak trees
- Our breeding colony of pink Chilean flamingos
- Wonderful wildflower meadows – look out for Cuckoo Flowers, Bee Orchids and Yellow Rattle
- Splash Zone adventure play area
Enthusiastic staff are also on hand to teach visitors about the UK’s diverse wetlands, their rich wildlife and the importance of WWT’s conservation work.