|Looking for: ||Historical, Heritage|
|Address: ||Castle Road, Salisbury, Wiltshire|
|Postcode: ||SP1 3SD|
|Age Group: ||All Ages|
|Kids Activity: ||Outdoors|
|Telephone: ||01722 335398|
|Website: ||Click Here|
The great earthwork of Old Sarum stands near Salisbury on the edge of Wiltshire’s chalk plains. Its mighty ramparts were raised in about 500 BC by Iron Age peoples, and later occupied by the Romans, the Saxons and, most importantly, the Normans.
William the Conqueror paid off his army here in 1070, and in 1086 summoned all the great landowners of England here to swear an oath of loyalty. A Norman castle was built on the inner mound and joined soon afterwards by a royal palace. By the middle of the 12th century a new town occupied much of the great earthwork, complete with a noble new Norman cathedral, the mother church of a huge diocese.
But Norman Sarum was not destined to thrive. Soldiers and priests quarelled, and life on the almost waterless hilltop became intolerable. The solution was a move downhill to the new settlement now known as Salisbury, where a new cathedral was founded in 1220. Thereafter Old Sarum went into steep decline. Its cathedral was demolished and its castle was eventually abandoned. But the largely uninhabited site continued to ‘elect’ two MPs, becoming the most notorious of the ‘Rotten Boroughs’ swept away by the 1832 Reform Act.
Today, the remains of the prehistoric fortress and of the Norman palace, castle and cathedral evoke memories of thousands of years of history which are interpreted by graphic panels throughout the site.
- Adults: £3.70
- Children: £2.20 (5-15yrs)
- Concessions: £3.30
- EH Member Cost: Free