|Looking for: ||Heritage|
|Address: ||Cleethorpes Pier, North Promenade, Cleethorpes, North Lincolnshire|
|Postcode: ||DN35 8SF|
|Age Group: ||All Ages|
|Kids Activity: ||Outdoors|
|Telephone: ||01472 200 011|
|Website: ||Click Here|
The pier was originally built in 1872 by Head Wrightson at a cost of £8000. Measuring 1200 feet it was officially opened on August Bank Holiday 1873.
Fifteen years later a concert hall was added at the pier head but unfortunately this was destroyed by fire in 1903. The pavilion which exists today was built in 1906.
Visitors may wonder why the pier is considerably shorter than its original length and today is only 355 feet long. During World War 2, measures to combat enemy invasion meant that a middle section of the pier was removed and later the Government were not able to afford its replacement. As a result the isolated seaward section was demolished.