Basing House - Basingstoke

Basing House - Basingstoke
Click for more images
Looking for: Historical
Address: Basing House Visitor Centre
Basing Grange
The Street
Postcode: RG24 8AE
Age Group: All Ages
Kids Activity: Indoors and Outdoors
Telephone: 0845 603 5635
Website: Click Here

Basing House lies just to the east of the train station. This 10-acre site features the ruins of England’s largest Tudor resident, which was home to William Paulet, the 1st Marqis of Winchester. Serving as a Royalist stronghold during the English Civil War, the house and its inhabitants held out against a lengthy siege. This was until the Parliamentarians razed the house to the ground in October 1645. The site is internationally renowned, and the remains of the various buildings, which continue to be excavated, provide a rich educational resource.

Opening times

  • Saturdays to Thursdays
    1 March to 31 October, 10am–5pm
  • Closed Fridays


  • Adult £4.50
  • Child (5-15 years) £3.50, under 5’s free
  • Concessions (60+/student) £4
  • Family (2 adults+2 children or 1 adult + up to 3 children) £12
  • Annual Pass